Saturday 25 December 2021

SUDHIR RAJBHAR BRANDED THE WORD 'CHAMAR', CREATED HISTORY BY CREATING HIS OWN COMPANY

The story is of Sudhir Rajbhar who created history by branding the word 'Chamar'. Although we talk about civilized society and unity, but the reality is that even today there is discrimination on the basis of caste in our society. Sudhir has grown up listening to this caste discrimination since childhood and all this used to prick him very much. In order to change the attitude of the people and to get the work of artisans internationally recognized, he started a new brand and named it 'Chamar'.

 
Now it is not just a caste but a brand of bags and belts. Whose products are completely eco friendly and handmade. Its products are sold in many cities of the country as well as abroad.

 Education and Career

Sudhir Rajbhar, 34, grew up in Mumbai. He did his graduation in drawing and painting from Mumbai itself. Sudhir is originally from Jaunpur district of Uttar Pradesh, although he did not stay there much, but whenever he went, he used to taunt his caste. Sudhir says, “Whenever I used to go to my native village, people used to tease me by using the last words of my head i.e. ‘Bhar’ and ‘Chamar’ interchangeably. Which is mostly spoken as an insult. To humiliate one person in particular, I want to bring back respect for the word as well as his work for those who were identified with leather work "says Sudhir That my caste is my identity", which I want to be respected with. Also I want to give international recognition to many craftsmen through my product. I want people to know the history of Chamar from my brand and hopefully One day people will know. Sudhir further explains that not only caste, I have also faced discrimination of rich and poor, Sudhir's inclination has always been towards art. After completing his studies, he has worked with many big artists like Chintan Upadhyay and Navjot Altaf. Sudhir explains, “It is said that art does not belong to any caste, caste. Rich or poor, but also in the field of art. I have faced discrimination. There were not very good clothes and shoes while studying. There were times when I was not allowed to enter the art gallery because of my dress. Althoug J I did not succumb to such circumstances and have reached here today. Instead of pushing each other. Sudhir branded the word ban to identify both the work and the artisan. Sudhir says that Chamar caste means leather worker. Which is considered very low class in our society. People do not want to drink water from the hands of the people of this community. Don't let them come inside the house. In this way they came to be considered as a separate part of the society. This is the thinking of people even in the twenty-first century, but the question is what to do if the Chamars do not do their work. His work is an art which is very beautiful. Sudhir further explains that people go abroad. From there they bring big brand bags which are very expensive and they are also made of leather but don't discriminate against the people there so why treat the people of my community like this?

Started making handmade products from waste materials 

In 2015, the work of leather workers, Dalits and Muslims was snatched away after beef was banned in many places. After that Sudhir researched on many materials from which bags could be made. “Then they discovered a material that is made from recycled rubber, not animal skin, and is very durable. All Chamar products are handmade, says Sudhir. Its weaving, cutting and stitching are done by hand. Because of this, it looks beautiful and looks different. However, they take a little more time to make. Some bags take 10 days to make in a day and some in 10 days. The most important thing is this It is that all the people who make these are from the Chamar community. Those who have good experience in making bags or belts. I brought these people from the streets of Dharavi and gave them a chance to work in my startup and today their products in India and abroad and thus the beginning of Chamar Studio.

Patented the brand and also took its trademark

Although I started studio work long back, it took me time to become a brand. I have registered the company in the name of Chamar Pvt Ltd. In the last one year, I have shipped many products to many states including Mumbai, Delhi and Bihar. Apart from this, many products have been sent to America, Germany and Japan. We haven't opened any stores yet. We only sell online, but soon we are going to open stores as well. Sudhir says that he expects help from the government so that he can promote his work as well as give employment to many artisans.

People in my village laugh after hearing my brand name 

Sudhir says you will be surprised to hear that when I tell the name of my brand to the people of my village, people.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please do not enter any spam link in the comment box